The Nokia N97 was released in US flagship stores on 9 June 2009 and on 26th June 2009 was released worldwide. In September 2009 it was reported that two million N97 handsets had been sold in three months following its release.
The N97 ships with trial versions of Quick Office, Adobe reader, Boingo and JoikuSpot Premium as well as Nokia's own Ovi Maps and Ovi store. The initial software had mixed reception, prompting the release of new firmware in October 2009. Nokia released the new firmware with kinetic scrolling for the N97 to address the major issues present in the firmware the device launched with. However, the new firmware still causes problems with some functions of the device.
Operating times[edit | edit source]
Informal tests have shown that the battery can last nearly two days with regular use of the phone's various features. Nokia quote the following claimed operating times
- Talk time: Up to 6.0 hours (3G), 9.5 hours (GSM)
- Standby time: Up to 17 days (3G), 18 days (GSM)
- Video playback: Up to 4.5 hours (offline mode)
- Video recording: Up to 3.6 hours (offline mode)
- Music playback: Up to 40 hours (offline mode)
Digital TV[edit | edit source]
Criticisms[edit | edit source]
On occasion, the camera lens cover of the N97 can cause scratches on the lens. Nokia has acknowledged that on many devices the cover is mounted too closely to the lens so that dust and debris can cause scratches.
On later models however, this issue seems to have been resolved.
Nokia N97 Mini[edit | edit source]
The N97 Mini is a downsized version of the N97 and has been available since October 2009. The N97 Mini downsized some features of the original N97, such as 8 GB of storage memory, 3.2 inch touchscreen, removal of FM transmitter and a shorter battery life. It uses the 2.0 Nokia N97 software by default.
A limited edition called the N97 mini Raoul Limited Edition has been released in relation with fashion house FJ Benjamin and the Raoul brand. It also features the new Fashion Asia widget and went on sale in late October 2009 in Malaysia and Singapore.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Nokia N97 demonstration video
- Nokia N97 Data sheet
- Official Nokia N97 website launched
- Nokia N97 detailed specifications
Websites And Blogs[edit | edit source]
- Nokia N97 marks evolutionary milestone for Nseries and mobilekind. Nokia. Retrieved on 2 December 2008.
- Desktop. Laptop. Pocket: The era of the personal Internet dawns with the Nokia N97. Nokia.
- Nokia's N97 Smartphone, a Laptop in Your Pocket. BusinessWeek. Retrieved on 16 March 2009.
- Nokia N97 available tomorrow at US flagship stores. Engadget. Retrieved on 8 June 2009.
- N97 defies critics with 2m sales. mobilenews. Retrieved on 3 September 2009.
- Nokia N97 Battery Log. Technograph. Retrieved on 7 July 2009.
- Nokia acknowledges scratch problems. nokiausers.net. Retrieved on 14 October 2009.
- N97 mini CNET Asia Review.
- Nokia launches N97 mini Raoul Limited Edition - Mobile Phones - Crave - CNET Asia. Asia.cnet.com (2009-09-15). Retrieved on 2010-01-01.